Sonntag, 30. Januar 2022

Exercise and the Brain

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2022/01/27/how_regular_exercise_restructures_the_brain_811919.html 

I never owned a car but mostly walked and biked and took long walks. I have done yoga regularly since spring of 1995, 27 years and counting and done janitorial work since mid 2010. The general fitness of biking and yoga plus a sometimes vegetarian diet were good maintenance. The latter, labouring job period has proven its general benefits. A purely sedentary attitude until 45 years of age would not have allowed a seamless switch. This was not due to a sort of future paranoia, preparedness doomerism on my part but more a general healthy attitude. Perhaps my mixed upbringing of working class labourer father vs highly educated mother inculcated respect for body and mind in equal measures. I see that when I started to get more fit that my mental productivity increased. Mind over matter is also a valid observation. The whole yoga, tai chi, meditation regimen keeps me fit and flexible more than the average of my colleagues who do no sport or the medical personnel, many of whom may follow just as unhealthy habits as the average cleaning staff. So I guess a sort of paranoia is present here on my part. I avoid even aspirin or a sip of alcohol, though I have a weakness for sweets. This is perhaps inherited as my father was similar although at times he would gorge on cookies or similar and throw them up( bulimic). I suppose overweight or lack of fitness for an uneducatted laborer would be a death knell and he considered it as such while investing cautiously in the stock market with his savings as a side earning. The difference to note between western style fitness and Asian technoque is the holistic approach combining it with spirituality. This attracts me the most. I can avoid dogma but just accept my spiritual experiences in the general framework. People who do cardio, weight lifting get to a plateau. Overtraining brings injury. In yoga there always new levels to be attained( not,well noted, extreme acrobatics). The nervous systems along the entire body, not just in the brain, as the above article emphasizes with general fitness, is changed through prana flow in Tai chi, yoga. This is nowadays considered, as in previous ages, esoteric or " occult"( hidden) knowledge. In films like Star Wars the Emperor and Darth Vader trade lightning fire from their hands, while in the matrix, characters nearly levitate in fight scenes. At any rate Asian arts are certainly next level" internal arts". Perhaps Multi Martial Arts is better in street fighting than karate or taekwando but Psychology, scientism, philosophy and western religions are a disorganized hodgepodge compared to the heights of subjective control and improvement one can attain over mind/ body system potentially. 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen